Monday, November 22, 2010

156/365 Covet


Many things about the houses on the block do I covet. I wish I had a huge mirror in my front hall framed by columns. I wish I had a matching one on my second floor. I wish I had inlaid wood floors and a first floor bathroom that was meant to be there as opposed to an add-on, badly done. I wish I had a masonry front porch. I wish I had a bay window. My house really is a stripped down version. Pine floors, only one bathroom original to the house, no fancy touches anywhere.

We've done a good job with what we have, and I love this block so much I'm ok with the fact that I have the least impressive house. I mean, all our houses are so solid, so German (they were designed by a man named Emil I believe), so brick. They have high ceilings and stained glass windows and woodwork on top of woodwork. Fireplace mantels and transom windows (although we only have them on the front and back doors).

One neighbor, Bruce, rehabbed his house somewhat when they moved in. The one thing, the only thing that I look at over there and say "I wish" are these windows. I have the front facing ones, sure, we all have these little dormers with two side by side double hung windows. But the higher little skylight style windows. And the triangles on the sides so you could look east and west. Those. Those I covet.

No comments: