Thursday, July 1, 2010

12/365 Quiet Week

It's been a quiet week between the sycamores. Daisy had a friend over; I made Fiona come out to play with them and she dragged Eliza and Bree out with her. How long do we have to play with them? one of the big girls sighed.

But then they played hide and seek until Daisy and her friend lost interest and went to the backyard to play. I dismissed the older girls, who really are becoming older girls, like the Jean and Chris and Cammy's of my experience (I was the oldest growing up, but friends had older sisters and they were always kind of daunting to be around--but we wanted to). Fiona is reaching an age I remember from my own life pretty well. I know where I lived and who my friends were and what I wanted and needed and did and liked. Before boys but after the concept of Best Friend really gelled. Fiona has best friends--the three girls here on the block probably are pretty solidly that category, along with a few girls from school.

None of the girls go to school together, which all the parents really like. It allows for a new face when you come home. Nobody knows what happened today at school and if you don't want to share it, but instead set up some elaborate Polly Pocket drama, go for it. I had a similar arrangement at the same point in my life as Fiona's, although the two or three girls I was friends with were not as nice as these girls. We're really lucky.

Back to the week, well, the house is a mess due to in and out camp carpool nonsense. We got the rails we needed for the roof rack to make it a functional bike rack. That was a small moment, as Judd stood there watching and talking about the details. "Just redneck enough," he said about himself watching the process. I remember this from childhood too--neighbor men coming by to look at my dad's cars or he would head over to look at a new porch or addition on the back of another man's house. They'd talk specs and cost and whatnot and there you go.

And there we are.

No comments: