Sunday, August 1, 2010

43/365 Spend the Night

Fiona creeps into the kitchen during a break from Lego Batman, the game du jour around here. As summer wanes, I'm caring less about screen time limits. Fry your brains, kids, because life is short and school starts in 3 short weeks.

She creeps into the kitchen and sidles up next to me. "Can Bree stay the night?" she whispers.

I give the requisite Mom Sigh. I'm making leftovers, disguised as quiche, for supper. That's not a problem, but adding another person to the guest list means sitting in the dining room instead of huddled around the kitchen table. Lazy me, I almost say no, but then reconsider.

"Sure," I tell her. "But after dinner."

Bree calls home and negotiates. Getting off the phone, she tells me it's fine, but she has to be in bed by 9:30 and lights off by 10. Fine with me, I think, that will be early for my girls this week...

No comments: