Saturday, August 28, 2010

70/365 Ichneumon

Click to view bigger. I believe I have yet another new creepy bug in my garden. From my extensive internet research (that is said tongue in cheek, to be clear), I believe I have a parasitic wasp. Specifically, an ichneumon wasp. It was certainly giant. But it did not have the funky loop shaped ovipositor, so I debated that maybe I was on the wrong track. But a couple of websites pointed out that male ichneumon wasps exist as well...I don't know. Does anyone out there know anything about ichneumons? This is a picture taken with my phone (my camera is still resting comfortably at my mother-in-law's house) and so it's abysmal. But trust me, it was big and gangly and eventually tired of posing, clumsily flying away from me. And then I left the garden like a big sissy.

No comments: