Tuesday, August 10, 2010

52/365 Girl Games

There's a heavy sigh from the back seat. We're on our way home from dance.

"What's up?" I ask. I get no response. So I do what I do best: ramble to fill the silence. "Tomorrow, we don't have anything going on, really, after I go to the doctor. Aunt Kaylen is coming over to watch you guys. And then nothing until we pick up food in the afternoon. Not a bad day. Maybe we'll make a plan and go somewhere. Eliza will be home after 3 from camp, and Iris--"

"I don't want to play with Iris," she says flatly.

I wait.

"Was she mean at class?" I venture. Iris and Fiona run hot and cold.

"She acted like I wasn't even there," she explains. "Except when I was put on her team, and then she told Miss Katie I didn't belong on her team." But she sounds more frustrated than upset or sad.

"Then give Iris a rest. Who knows what's going on. School will start up again and things will change."

But I have a heavy heart. I know about girl games--I was a victim of them as often as I played them. So hard to not move the chess pieces on the board. So hard to sit back and wait. But I'll try.

1 comment:

Kaylen said...

Girl games. I was afraid that was what this post would be about...