Saturday, April 9, 2011

252/365 Alley Clean Up

Operation Brightside has an annual spring blitz throughout the city of St. Louis. Operation Brightside is a "Cleaning and Greening" organization which I didn't realize, until searching for them just now, is St. Louis-only. So I should stop talking about it to out-of-towners like they'll understand.

Anyway, each spring they have a clean-up. The yard waste dumpsters get emptied and the streets and alleyways are supposed to get a good freshening up. This is done completely volunteer, each block handling it themselves. We've always done an alley clean up, ever since I moved here, which made me think, for the longest time, that Barb Brunwin was my block captain--I thought blocks were centered around an alley, not around a street block. Anyway, long time ago and now I'm technically a semi-retired block captain myself over on this side (although Zelda and Travis give me a run for my money on that front).

Usually we start early and go out and move dumpsters and sweep out. Cut down fence weeds and pick up trash. This year we rolled out a little after 9 in the morning and gave it a go. Some years we'll go up into everyone's parking area and really clean it out. This year, not really. I did go over Dawn and Judd's, next door, and I did my own, but not the folks behind me (pictured here with Auggie):Weeds by the old ashpit base, leaves and detritus here and there, but eh. Haven't even met those folks and they are the famous "tent" neighbors who pitched the tent through the summer last year. Bizarre.

The alley was paved several years ago, against our wishes--we liked the brick--but now that it is paved, I have to admit, it's much easier to keep clean. Oh well. (note: blue dumpster! Single stream recycling!!)
It's also a bulk-trash-pick-up date, so I had Mike go through the basement and find stuff to get rid of. Oftentimes, trucks drive up and down the alley looking for usable items and scrap to sell. They read the Operation Brightside fliers, too.So we shoveled and raked and then I stacked all the firewood in a more sensible arrangement that will allow us to park in back again (yay).Tomorrow: front yard.

1 comment:

Mary Helen said...

Glad Leo got to help! :)