Thursday, February 24, 2011

220/365 Planting

I'm growing a garden this year. Come hell or high water (and there will be both this summer, I have read, both flooding and heat). I have some seeds started in the little pots, but I'm not counting on much there because the cats (I blame Jack) have knocked them over. I replanted and tried again, trying not to be disheartened. Dang cats.

I have my seed potatoes, waiting for the week before St. Patrick's Day. Maybe after the parade that Saturday. The old wives tale is between Patrick and Joseph (March 17 and 19) to get the potatoes in the ground. So I figure that week, I'll be set. I'm growing them above ground this year. I will report back.

Beans, tomatoes, cucumbers. Maeve wants watermelon and while I'm not confident they will actually produce, I started those seeds too. I'll pick up herbs later in the spring, when "all danger of frost has passed".

And carrots. In large pots. Never managed them before. But last year's cucumber harvest makes me bolder.

No comments: