Sunday, February 6, 2011

208/365 Easing Back In

Went to Florida. Came home.

First stop: Travis and Zelda's house for a superbowl party. Great chili, even better shrimp and blue cheese garlic bread, and while I'm sure there was good beer, I had some pink lemonade.

We wound up playing mah jongg, just a three-hand game with Zelda, Gretchen, and me. Tara sat and chatted but didn't play. We used 2006 cards which is fun to mix it up. And talk ranged from Irish dance to school choice to Bridgett Putting Her Foot In Her Mouth. Yup. I was home in St. Louis for mere moments and managed to trip over myself. Badly. I've already apologized. But I've felt like a total ass all day. School choice. Always a tricky subject and I let myself get a little more flippant than even my usual bitchy self. And Zelda got quiet and the conversation died. I didn't catch it at first--it was later, once I was on my way home with the girls (Daisy was fine, but Fiona was crying because she wanted to stay to the end of the football game. Which she wasn't watching, of course).

It's hard sometimes for me, for anyone, probably, but especially for me, to watch my mouth. It's always how I get in trouble. There's no way I'm going to steal a car or commit adultery. But I'm going to open my mouth and that's when it happens. Crap.

So now I get to ease back in in several different ways.

No comments: