Saturday, September 25, 2010

98/365 Raised Bed

It's time for a couple of raised beds in my backyard. My porch is two-tiered. The lower porch is about two feet off the ground and two feet from the western fence, as seen here. I love my backyard with this porch added on. But there are some logistical issues. To begin with, the gap between the porch and the western fence has some lovely large leafed hostas growing in it, but you can't see them because the porch is too tall. And back, behind where this photo can see, is a water spigot on the back wall of the house. That's not a problem, but it means it's a place I need to get to pretty regularly (pool, sprinklers, the watering system in the back garden is a drip hose). And it's awful. There's a huge pile of busted up concrete and this ugly holey rock that we took out of the yard when we moved in. It's a cairn. It's 3 feet high. And the concrete path is covered in vines and debris. It's depressing to walk into the house by the back door and glance down to that sight.

So I'm doing a few things. I'm building a raised bed the length of the porch, with a gap between it and the western fence to store that danged ladder in. And I'm building it out of all that waste rock, since it's a spot where you won't see the walls of the raised bed anyway. And once that rock is out of the way of the spigot, I'm spreading a sand base over the mess of cracked concrete and waste dirt and laying some concrete pavers. Something I can SWEEP. Something that will stay neat.

No comments: