Monday, September 6, 2010

79/365 Quiet Block

The kids were in bed. Jake and I were exhausted from our long weekend at his parents' house. We were about to veg in front of the computer, where we watch movies and TV from Netflix and he turned to me.

"You're going to go run an errand, right?" he asked. He meant Ted Drewes, the frozen custard stand in south city.

"I think I probably was going to, yes," I agree. He gives me his order and I head out to retrieve utter naughtiness.

I get home with my brown paper bag, dry ice included to keep things cold. Travis and Zelda are on their porch and I say hello.

"Was it quiet here this weekend?"

"Yeah," Zelda affirms, looking up and down. "Besides Dawn and Judd," she points, "Len was here, Mason and Cicely, maybe that was it?"

"Poor Bree," I sympathize. When everyone leaves town but us, Fiona gets lonely.

"Oh, she was fine. We were so busy she didn't have time to notice."

I fill them in on our weekend house-building, and then head in. My butterscotch chocolate-chip concrete awaits.

No comments: