Sunday, June 27, 2010

8/365 Parade

The parade goes past every year. It turns into the park right before our street. The music and balloons and hoo-ha are everywhere.

Daisy is dressed in her Snow White costume. She wants to play with friends. So we venture out while Billy sleeps to see if we can find the friends. We find them down at Tara's house on the corner, sitting on the steps with a gazillion strangers. Frank and Christy walk up just as we do, just as 2 dozen people dressed in hospital scrubs and carrying rainbow flags wave at us and turn into the park. Daisy sees Bonnie Dee and Naomi and runs over to join them. I chat a minute and then Joy and I strike a deal--she'll keep Daisy at the parade and then feed her lunch, if I keep Bonnie Dee so she can go to Target.

The Hi-Bear-Nation float isn't turning the corner yet when I make my way back to my house. A drag queen in red stilettos walks past me. Later, Daisy and her friends go past my house on the way to Wymans, carrying carnations. "The man in the underwear gave them to us."

Awesome.

3 comments:

mh said...

:) for the last line.

Indigo Bunting said...

I love this.

Cedarwaxwing said...

The last line made me giggle.