Wednesday, March 9, 2011

231/365 Future

Most days I don't have time to worry about the future beyond the immediate future (like, what's for dinner? Do we have Irish dance tonight? How am I going to get the laundry done?).

Other times I let my mind drift, like when I'm driving to Irish dance (just for instance) and wonder about the future. Not worry. Wonder.

I wonder who will move first, for instance. We have a good thing going here, but nothing lasts forever. I doubt it will be us, and I can't point and say "it'll be them" because nobody is looking to leave right now. But jobs take people places. Especially these days.

I wonder about high school and the girls Fiona's age. Will they still be friends? I'm confident she will still be friends with Bree, but I wonder about the others as they build separate lives at school and in activities.

I wonder about the house next door, if Dawn and Judd will convert it to a one-family. If they stay forever, no big deal, but if they move, I want it to be a one-family. I hate absentee landlords and I fear that situation living right next door.

I wonder about the house behind me (absentee landlord) and kind of hope that when it comes up for sale, Jake and I are in a position to buy the dang thing.

The conversation turned this weekend to adoption--adoption of older children--and I wonder if there will be more Paxtons or Kennedys as time goes on. I wonder who they will be. I wonder how that will go. Am I still up for it?

I wonder about our staying power as a group of women who are friends based simply on the fact that we live spitting distance from each other. Zelda I don't wonder about. Gretchen either, for the most part, although her entrance into a wealthier rung of our local society may be hard to overcome as time goes by. Which will mostly be my problem and I should relax. But Tara is more guarded these days, and seems a bit unhappy in general. Valerie, Joy, and then the outer rings of my social crowd...I just wonder.

And I wonder who will buy Bruce's house. That is more immediate and I find myself occasionally worrying. We'll see. Hmm.

4 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

I like this.

Emma said...

Oh, futre. Recently I heard something about the FUTRE on the HISTORY channel. Ha.

badprincess said...

Can I live behind you if you buy it?!!

Bridgett said...

Of course, although I would hope you would be on your own by the time it would come up and we could afford to!