Thursday, December 23, 2010

175/365 What is that ridiculousness?

They've dug up the end of my street. I say "they" in the Russian way. As in, "They took Oleg away" or "They built Novosibirsk." They have dug up my street.

I figured it was the sewer. There's always something with these old streets and sewers. I paid it no mind. It meant I had to make a U-turn on my one-way street this past week, which always makes me feel like a CRIMINAL, but I figured it'd be over in a few weeks. Thaw and freeze and thaw again and they'd patch it back up and that would be that.

Nope.

It's the monuments. Barb Brunwin called me on my cell phone 4 times in one day to ask if I knew what was going on. She's the block captain behind me. And she's mad that they didn't consult her. I won't go into too many details because it makes my head hurt.

It was part of the bait and switch on the corner, the condo development that got a big 4 car driveway illegally but maybe not? No, definitely illegally. And then we fought that and then we got diagonal parking for the building. Maybe with ceded right of way but maybe it was just a Brooklyn Bridge kind of deal. I don't know. Or, obviously, CARE ANYMORE. But somewhere in this the condo owner and our gentleman alderman kind of bribed us with "monuments" at the end of our street, supposedly matching the ironwork at the gates to the park across the way.

Well, none of the plans were exactly what we would have wanted and nobody, I think, maybe a few but not the majority, didn't care that much. And once we turned on the condo developer and testified against his driveway, we figured that was the end of that.

But no. We have little concrete bumpouts now. And gates are coming. Sort of. We'll have to wait and see. And Barb will have to take a valium and stop worrying so much.

No comments: